Monday, February 2, 2009

Salt - Lime - Chili? - A shot of LA's Fruit Stands

Everyone must try this! It's a delicious way of getting your daily dose of vitamin C - it sure beats crunching on those chewable tablets from the pharmacy.

Check out the chili powder seeping into the melon. Man, I wanted to keep the spicy watermelon juice at the bottom of the bag and add a shot of vodka to it. Omg... did I just invent a brilliant new drink?!


Dude cutting fruit video\

LA has numerous fruit stands dotting the city, you just need to keep your eye out for parasols hovering the street corners. Choose your fruit, then it quickly gets chopped into bite-sized pieces with added salt lime and chili - or plain. I mean seriously, let's eat some more fruit people.
The standard choice includes watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, mango and coconut. Price varies between $1 - $4 with each stand. This guy charged $3 but I think pricing may also depend on mood.

5 comments:

  1. OMG! Give me some of that fruit! I want some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is one of my fAAAAvorite things i discovered about LA - my FAAAVE is the pineapple. OMG! so so delish. i creave it everyday with the salt 'n lime. now i am far away from the delicious fruit vendors. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok i actually went out in the winter storm yesterday to buy a pineapple because of your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that fruit guy, I have been having one every single day for the last 2 months... 3 bucks and that chili is soooo awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cut up some mango, jicama and pineapple. Sprinkle chile powder, salt and squeeze lime juice on it....at home. Then u have all the juice u want for ur drinks ;). Oh yeah, add hor sauce depending on how much heat you want.

    ReplyDelete